Friday, December 24, 2004

Christmas Eve

Our annual tradition on Christmas Eve is to have a "traveling feast" on the upstairs deck. We eat in the cold, bundled in our winter coats, and reflect on the fact that Joseph and Mary were journeying to Bethlehem so many years ago. As one who had to drive over very (VERY) bumpy roads in labor, I read the part about the donkey and I have to wince. It must have been an amazing evening.

Now, a little secret, just between us bloggers. I started this tradition because I didn't want to cook on Christmas Eve. I love creating traditions for my family, we all like to dress up to make ordinary days extraordinary, and so -- we made a simple meal of crackers and cheese into an event. I get to take a break from the kitchen (allowing more time for lattes and books -- aaah!) and we have many, many years of memories on our deck in the cold. It's a win - win - win situation.

The candles and crackers are this year's traveling feast. The cider was poured, the toasts were made, and we were grateful to come scooting in to the warm fire when our meal was complete.

We wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Kate said...

What a lovely tradition! Ours is almost always celebrated with family at a local home and it is also a wondeful night (and I hardly have to cook at all either!) :+)

We wish you and yours a lovely day, filled with grateful hearts. I am grateful for you!

Warmly,
SofH

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...