Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Tsunami disaster relief

I will never forget the day I returned from a week-end in Lake Tahoe to a surreal message from my mother on the answering machine. My sister had been in an accident; would I call her please? The news that my sister's accident was fatal changed my life forever.

That experience is still with me, eleven years later, as I read the news of the rising death tolls in Asia. Knowing that each of the 80,000 plus victims was a unique person, with a story of their own, makes the news a bit blurry as I try and read.

I am working to find out the status of friends that live in Thailand, and a cousin that lives in India. They live in areas safe from disaster, but we are still researching to be reassured that they were home at the time.

Thanks to our friends at Mental Multivitamin, we found this link to provide financial support: Red Cross relief

Also, we were given a gift yesterday of a donation to Samaritan's Purse, a Christian international relief organization that we have used before. They are collecting relief funds for their work in Sri Lanka and Indonesia. If you wish to send support through Samaritan's Purse, check this link: Samaritan's Purse


No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...