Saturday, January 01, 2005

The biggies and the frosting

I gave up January 1st resolution lists a long time ago. With time and experience came the knowledge that life comes daily, and that my work on improvements needed to be just as daily. It is not for lack of problems; it's just that I need to work hard for lasting change, not be searching for the life equivalent of a miracle diet quick fix.

Instead of a list of resolutions, I have taken inventory on the things for which I am thankful. There are the Biggies: A relationship with God, a wonderful husband, five healthy and interesting and changing children, a mother who loves books and folds laundry, and contentment with our fiscal and physical health.

But what of the little things? Those that, in light of tsunami stories, we all know are the frosting on the cake of life? Today I have taken time to appreciate those things, and I realize that, in spite of residing in a state that is famous for its high costs, we really are living like kings. And, we love it. Wow. That's fun.

My list of the little things that make for tasty frosting on my cake:

1) Books
This had to be first because it is soooooooo close to being a biggy.
2) French Roast
The dark roast may not have caffeine very often, but it still provides the jumpstart for my morning and afternoon.
3) Candles
A few candles around the living room say, "Welcome home" to any that walk in the door. Romance, comfort, peace...all for little cost and less effort.
4) A beautiful view
I can often be found staring out the window. Life's pressures slip away as I stare -- thinking, praying, planning or dreaming come so much easier with oaks and manzanita for a view, instead of concrete.
5) Music
I have three piano players, one flute player, one recorder player, and one-and-a-half guitar players in my house, and I am a future Irish bodran drum player myself. That, plus the piles of CDs we own, provides the skip to our step and the soundtrack for our family dance.
6) Bargains
Whether it is a long drive to the nearest IKEA for bookcases, a monthly jaunt to Trader Joe's for provisions, a peek at the Eddie Bauer outlet clearance rack, or a local thrift store that is filled with treasures, we can stretch a buck with grace and style.

Well, that's all for now. Books, coffee, candles, and music are all wooing me away from the screen, and I have no desire to resist their call.

May you and yours have a Happy New Year, one day at a time.

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...