Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Learning to knit

My daughter is teaching me how to knit. She was taught by a friend last year, and she has learned very quickly. She's made several scarves and is about halfway through her first sweater. She makes it look very, very easy.

Knitting is hard. I cast on the same fifteen (insert inappropriately colorful language here) loop-de-doos (no technical knitting jargon here) many, many times. My boucle yarn, the colors of rainbow sherbet by the way, just kept slipping off or bunching up. I got cranky. Someone called me Mme. DeFarge. My knitting future was looking bleak.

I went to visit with a new friend the other night, and we were both working on our knitting. Well, actually, I was starting and re-starting my project. Finally, she kindly asked, "What are you doing? Oh, just KNIT, and trust that it will look fine. If the first row looks strange, just add fringe." How comforting it was to know I could add fringe. Now I have three rows of my scarf DONE, and I can see that it will be lovely.

It has been eye-opening to be taught a new skill, especially by my daughter, as I am my children's primary teacher. Learning can be hard, and we create enough frustration within our own selves; we don't need our instructors getting wigged out by us. My daughter kept sweetly saying, "Wait, Mom. You forgot this", and I could try again. She NEVER lost her patience; she ALWAYS encouraged me. I realize that I have a lot to learn about teaching from this remarkable girl. She picked up knitting without much trouble. Wham: A Scarf. Wham again: Half a sweater. She can talk while she knits. She is amazing. And, she is patient with her mother. Wow.

I will try and remember these lessons as I teach math, reading, writing/re-writing, or whatever difficult subject comes up today.

And, I will keep in mind that I can always add fringe. Just knit! That's my motto.

P.S. On a practical note: Buying wooden needles is on my errand list for this week. They come highly recommended to keep those loop-de-doos from slipping. I am sure I will be a Skilled Knitter with them. (Humor me, please!)

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...