Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Walking around the lake

We love to take walks. Our favorite spot is a lake, smack dab in the middle of a semi-suburban neighborhood, but it feels like you are in another world. Bird watching is excellent there, with red-winged blackbirds as the most common sighting. We also have been able to see the changing landscape, through seasons and years. Some of us run, some of us walk. Some of us sit, but then we run to catch up with Mom as she walks.

We started walking and hiking with our children when they were in snugglies. The baby backpack was worn to shreds by the time five children had grown out of it. This is a great place to build walking endurance for children. It is level, but more than a mile all the way around. Not a tough walk, but long enough to build some perseverance.

I think we'll head back today. Yesterday, I spotted a bird I had never seen before. I will bring my favorite birding book (Birding - Nature Company Guides) and see if I can spot it again.

**Late breaking news: I just checked my bird book. The bird is a female red-winged blackbird. It is brown and white, with no black and no red. But, it is nonetheless a red-winged blackbird. Never would have known without my trusty volume. We'll see if we can find her when we walk this afternoon.**


Our favorite walking destination.



Taking a break.

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...