Thursday, February 17, 2005

The celebration of the Little Mister

"Every day is somebody's birthday," said Pooh.
"That's a lot of cake!" said Piglet.

Celebrations are coming hand-over-fist these days. A week that includes two birthdays and Valentine's Day makes for plenty of excitement (and cake!) Next year, I think we will take this week off from school and use the non-celebratory days to do juice fasts, or some other extreme measure, to balance the frosting and candy. I never thought I would meet my sugar limit, but here we are.

The fun part of today is the Man of the Hour. Our youngest child, our youngest son, is six today. That means, most importantly, BYE BYE booster car seat. His plan was to take it to the dump for a ceremonious deposit, but we found a young friend at church that is in need of just such a boost. Sunday we will gift him with the treasure.




This morning, while three of the children were at piano, I got the fun of some cafe time alone with my young man. As we were sipping our drinks, I asked him how it felt to be six. He thought for a moment, looked up at the cafe table umbrella, and said, "I kinda thought I would be as tall as this umbrella." I've heard of growth spurts, but that was the dream of a youngest brother if I have ever heard one.




Lunch with Daddy was a requested event after hearing of the older sister's fun last Thursday. No lace and picnic baskets for these tough guys, though. Just a backpack with sandwiches that would make Dagwood drool, and some man-to-man talk. I'm not sure if the father or the children are enjoying this new tradition more, but it sure brings big smiles.

I have never felt older than six years and a day ago when I was 39 and pregnant with my fifth child. But, since that day, I feel as if I am getting younger and younger. This dear boy, with his hugs and questions and energy, his "Morning, Mama" and his, "Could you snuggle with me?" are treasures I never want to take for granted. After all, in a few years, I could be looking up at a guy the height of a cafe umbrella. I'm going to enjoy these six-year-old, busy days, even if it means more cake.

Happy birthday, Junior Mint!

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...