Thursday, May 12, 2005

Happy Be-Lated Birthday Reflections


On top of the world

On May 3rd we were very busy. It was my third child's 12th birthday, AND we had the stomach flu. What a sad bit of timing. (Anne with an "e" would say tragical, wouldn't she?) We had a movie fest, watching the movies of his choice, and tried to feel better. The formal party was scheduled for Friday, and it was ONLY Tuesday. "Surely we will all feel just dandy by Friday!" No such luck. The party at our house was cancelled by a resurgence of symptoms, and was moved (with only the "healthy" members of the family) to another location. I, unfortunately, was not a qualifying attendee, but I have it on good report that it was a delightful evening. Children ages 6 to 17, a handful of crazy grown-ups, and plenty of English country dancing, singing 'round the piano and general hilarity. We provided party favors, which I hope to be able to display here when I get pictures sent to me. Surgical masks for the Sick Family members, surgical gloves for all (to wear, make balloons of, whatever) and bottles of hand sanitizer to add to the health and aromatherapy of the evening. If laughter is the best medicine, you would think this icky bug would have vacated our house a bit sooner than it did.

I was impressed with the patience and kindness of my son as he waited to celebrate. He is like his mother: he loves his birthday, he loves to have parties with friends and family, and he had been planning his special day for a couple of months. Then, he was offered set-back after set-back. "Maybe we can have a birthday breakfast tomorrow, hon." No such luck. We did finally celebrate with Dutch babies, banner, and presents, but it took us until Friday, and the cake didn't even appear until Saturday night with the WPMs family. It was a fabulous cake:


The Ultimate Boy Scout Birthday Cake

and well worth the wait. But, I am grateful for a child that did not complain, expressed concern for his sick family members, and put his hopes and dreams on hold until we could all participate with him. What a great guy.

As he grows older, his similarities to his father grow stronger and stronger. When we were at our aunt's memorial service in April, many people commented on their similar appearance. What I like about having a child who looks so much like my husband is that it reminds me that my son is becoming a man. That may sound obvious to you, but I can get pretty stuck in the "now." It is really good for me to see my children as adults-in-the-making. We are shooting for a high water mark of maturity around here, wanting to contribute to life and bless those around us, and if my son can continue to be a reminder of his father, he is well on his way to a good place.

Wherever he is headed, I trust that his life will continue to be filled with adventures that include backpacks, skis, bow & arrows, music, basketball statistics, and cases of books. He has begun to write stories, detailed and filled with imagery that ignites my imagination. A new and fascinating person is just starting to emerge; this stage of parenting is so much more exciting than all those nay-sayers let on.

From now until August 8th I have the fine distinction of saying that I have children ages 14, 13 and 12 (and 9 and 6, but it is those first three that are so impressive this time of year.) Yes, they are close in age. Yes, we know where babies come from. Yes, I was busy when they were younger. Yes, I knew they would all be teenagers at the same time. NO, I don't regret it. Adding baby #3, a mere thirty-two months after baby #1, and nineteen months after baby #2, was one of the smartest things we have ever done (as if it was all up to us anyway!) These three teenagers (or soon to be's) are fun and funny and way more interesting than most anything I can imagine. I am one blessed woman.

Happy (be-lated) Birthday, dear Rex!


The Birthday Gentleman

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...