Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Would you like a muffin with that soundtrack?

I awoke feeling aged and infirm this morning. With all my creaks and moans, it felt like a great day for a limo to come and take me to a day at a spa. A long swim, a pedicure, a fluffy white robe...aaaah. Well,I don't know about you, but these components do not make up my everyday life, so I had to go for the alternative that is available in my home: "Where's the coffee?" My extra-large mug of French roast was cooling on the windowsill, thanks to the man of my dreams; it may not be quite like a day at the spa, but it sure helped to oil the hinges of my mind and body.

The piano music downstairs was just what the doctor ordered, too. It was Carol Ann from Freedom by Michael W. Smith; my son is learning to play many of the songs from this CD and, with a preference for the pounding tunes of Pirates of the Caribbean, Lord of the Rings, and Star Wars, he was divinely inspired with his choice of morning melodies.

The other song of perfection was the whir of the blender. That rather jarring noise is music to my ears, as it means that my daughter is busy with something in the kitchen. It's been years since that meant anything but good news; there were a few years of "creative cooking", when she produced really frightening things, but those days are g-o-n-e.

This morning's creation was from this cookbook:

Muffins: Sixty Sweet and Savory Recipes by Elizabeth Alston

Chocolate Orange Muffins (makes 12 regular or 36 miniature)

2 medium oranges, washed and dried
3 oz. bittersweet chocolate
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, room temp.
2 large eggs
1/2 cup plain yogurt or buttermilk
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
2 cups all-purpose flour

Heat oven to 375 degrees, grease muffin cups or use foil baking cups.

* Finely grate orange peel.
* Chop chocolate (unless you are using chips)
* Beat sugar and butter in a large bowl until pale and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Add orange peel.
* Add yogurt, orange juice, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix very well. Batter will be quite liquid.
* Sprinkle flour, then chocolate, over batter. Fold gently, just enough to blend in flour.
* Scoop into muffin cups. Bake 15 - 25 minutes, or until golden brown and springy to the touch.



Served with orange juice and milk (or a large cup of French roast), these taste treats were a fun change from the industrial-sized pot of oatmeal that we usually call breakfast. I focused on the cup of coffee, though. If my smaller jeans are ever going to fit, these will just have to remain as music to my ears and sweet fragrances wafting up the stairwell.

This cookbook is one of my favorites, and you can tell by its "well-used" appearance. It was a wedding gift from one of my former roommates, and we have had many a tasty muffin thanks to her generosity.

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...