Tuesday, June 21, 2005

The blur that was last week

Last Tuesday I mentioned that we were in the midst of Latin-in-a-Week with Wes Callihan of Schola Classical Tutorials. It made for a busy week, but one that was a tremendous success. Our oldest daughter was the youngest participant in the class and not only survived the 35-plus hours of intensive Latin, but laughed, soared, devoured and enjoyed most every minute. Latin is her "thing", and she was a joy to behold from the kitchen counter where I worked.


The final hours were still fun.

To celebrate Mr. Callihan's presence in Northern California, we held a ball in his honor. About sixty people gathered together in their finest clothes to dance and laugh the night away on Friday evening. I love dancing, but had much to learn. It was a good opportunity to be humble.


Daddy and daughter

As I watched my children dancing, with friends or family members, it filled with me joy. Throughout my life, friends have been very significant; up until recently, though, peers have played a very, very small (or non-existent) role in my children's lives. They weren't feeling the lack, but in the last year, through no effort of our own, we have met young friends that have enriched our children's lives as well as our own. They enjoy their parents and siblings, they love many of the things we love (AND they teach us new things like The Cup Game and other silliness); basically, they are all-round terrific people. The ball on Friday night was like a slice of heaven as I watched our children and their friends. Good friends, ones that help us become better people, are a gift to be appreciated.

Saturday's hurrah was the homeschool graduation of a young woman that we all adore. She tutored our daughter through Wheelock's Latin,

and managed to make it fun. I often wondered what could possibly be in the textbook that would create such outbursts of laughter from the upstairs bedroom; so much for Latin being a dead language! They learned a lot together, and this young woman was used in a great way to help get our daughter ready to excel at languages. We appreciate her hard work.

Saturday's ceremony was the first homeschool graduation I have attended. I didn't realize that I would cry through the whole thing. Something about seeing this adventure end for someone really struck a chord for me. I fully believe in the need for vision in our lives; it gives us the strength to keep on. Sometimes, though, the vision evaporates for me, and this winter and spring have been seasons when I felt like the lights were dimmed in my mind. Actually, it has been coming on gradually for the last couple of years, and is probably the beginnings of a little burn-out, a little singeing on the edges of my soul. Saturday, however, did more to keep the beasts of burn-out at bay than any of the "stress reduction" techniques I've had recommended. It gave me some perspective, a glimpse at the destination for which we are headed. It was a beautiful view! I feel invigorated and encouraged for the years ahead.


This collection of books was on the table of pictures and memorabilia at the graduation. Herbs and gardening, Winnie-The-Pooh in Latin, church history...these volumes reveal the varied and unique interests of a delightful young woman. Look out, University of Idaho, there's a great person on her way to your campus this fall.

And, at last, the celebration of the Daddy Person. Sunday was a day of food and relaxation, two things my husband loves and appreciates. Church, Guinness and steak, the NBA finals, ice cream and some quiet time at home all made for a great day of celebrating the guy the younger set call Dad, Daddy or Papa. I shudder to think of life without him; he is such a blessing to my life EACH AND EVERY DAY. To the man who can still dunk over the boys, who climbs Half Dome, who can help with grammar and history and bible study and literature and who faithfully works so that we can have the best possible life here at home...we love you!


The Man

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...