Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Soundtracks for long drives

If there is one recurrent theme in my life over the last two-and-a-half weeks it is On the Road Again. Vacation for us is a good twelve-to-fourteen hour drive (one-way), and this year I added two trips to IKEA when I got home (yep - two. If you live a distance from IKEA (like I do) I recommend you check to make sure you have all the pieces you need if you are building a bed. All of them. Every box. Trust me -- check with the service counter before you leave.) Then, just to get some variety of scenery, we drove to Reno to pick up my daughter at the airport. The savings on the ticket cost to Reno (rather than Sacramento) seemed worth it when we pushed "send" but, as I have finally surrendered to the cold germs swarming around the family, Reno was feeling like a trek-and-a-half yesterday.

The burden of each of these drives was lightened by great company (all or a select few of my family members, depending on the drive), and by nice weather. We had be-a-u-tiful fog in Emeryville at IKEA; the chilly, "why didn't I bring a sweatshirt?" kind of weather that I love. On the way to Reno we were treated to a show of lightning that was spectacular. My apologies to any Nevada readers, but the landscape just over the California border is usually downright ugly, but the darkening skies did something magical to the coloring on the hills and we were in awe of the beauty. The rain smelled heavenly, and the cat paws and other dust got washed off of the van.

Beginning with our first drive to Oregon seven years ago, we have made it a tradition to get books on tape. We made great selections this year, and we recommend them highly:

For the drive up to Portland:


The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis, Narrator Kenneth Branagh

Narnia and Kenneth Branagh...need I say more? Just know that he does a great job on all the animal voices, and we were reluctant to stop except for the most desperate of needs.

The rest of the drive we listened to music, which is a new development. We often pull out "wake us up" music when we are driving at night, but the growing age of the audience in the back of the car meant requests for music during the daylight hours. We listened to:

The Best: Sittin' in Again, Loggins & Messina. Songs from our youth, it was fun to sing along.

House of Worship, Twila Paris. A good choice for the "Let's have some quiet" moments in the car. To wake up or to fall asleep, this worship music soothes and lifts our hearts to Him.

and the previously recommended:
Hot House, by Bruce Hornsby. Especially helpful during the afternoon dip, when a swim in a pool would be nice or just a frosty latte would suffice. In lieu of that, Bruce.


From Portland to the coast:

Abraham Lincoln and the Heart of America
"Laughter, tragedy and astonishing triumphs abound in this storytelling biography of our sixteenth president who used humor, strength and moral clarity to steer a nation and a people through their most trying times."


For most of our twelve hour blitz home (think horse to the barn) we listened to:

In the Reign of Terror , by G.A. Henty and read by Jim Weiss.
"As the French Revolution begins, a young englishman, Harry Sandwith, is hired by a French nobleman to be a companion to his sons. At first seen by the aristocrat's family as beneath their class, Harry soon proves himself by saving the lives of the girls in the family. Then, in the midst of the French Revolution, Harry must summon all his courage to save and protect his French friends. In the Reign of Terror is both a vivid picture of one of history's most important events and also a thrilling adventure."

I'm not sure what we will do when the family is done listening to Jim Weiss. He has always been an extra passenger on our travels, and a trip to Oregon wouldn't feel right without him. Hopefully, I will never need to know.


To IKEA:


Cinderella Man soundtrack.

I loved the movie, and had no recollection of the music at all. Our children danced to one of the songs with their friends, and they asked if we could get the CD. A little 20's jazz, some Irish jigs, and a lot of poignant tunes, it's a fine collection of music. I think the Depression era has a lot to teach about the value of people over things, and I am happy to have the music to bring it to mind.


7 Habits of Highly Effective Families, by Stephen R. Covey

Not my usual choice of audio companion, I decided to listen to these CDs in preparation for the new school year and in anticipation of creating a family mission statement. When it first began, my older boys were a bit taken aback. "Um, Mom, what IS this?" was the general reception it received. A few minutes later, quiet requests were coming for me to turn up the volume. I am not done listening yet, but I like what he has to say about priorities. Good stuff.

Now, I am going to stay home and blow my nose.

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...