Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Birthday reflections




Approaching the local video store counter tonight (an aside: does one still call them "video stores" if one is picking up DVDs? Maybe my sister-in-law can answer that?!!) anyway...approaching the counter, I hear the young woman at the register say, "I mean, like, he is FORTY-TWO and he still looks good!" As a woman picking up a movie to watch with her husband on her forty-sixth birthday, I could only hope that it wasn't all over before forty-two, let alone forty-six. Add this to the list of advantages for studying gerontology in college: being anywhere near forty is just the beginning, not old!!!

I confess -- I love presents, and this 46th birthday was overflowing with them. Many I am blessed to have each day: a really great husband, five interesting and unique children, a growing closeness with my mother (who lives next door), a night sky filled with stars, and a heart at peace with my God. But, special gifts of this day included having a latte with my mom, a lovely cake baked by my daughter, a banner made by my son, and hugs, kisses, and words of appreciation around the dessert table. Add to that the bright blue and pink flowers still working hard to bloom in the yard, the earlier darkness and the almost-a-chill on the evening air (signs of autumn -- oh, hooray!), a bunch of red roses, cards from friends, silly poems in the email inbox, singing children leaving messages on my phone... well, I have a pretty marvelous life.

I am thankful for friends. For family. For eyes to see the blessings all around me. I could focus on the weeds or the peeling paint, the cranky attitudes of this morning, or the smell of skunk wafting in my open window tonight, but the thankful list has won out once again.

My prayer for my 47th year:

Be Thou My Vision

Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
Thou my soul’s Shelter, Thou my high Tower:
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.



The birthday girl with her latte pal, aka: Mum.

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...