Thursday, November 24, 2005

Thanksgiving

***Somehow, I didn't post this Thursday. A good reminder that this is a message for all year, not just one day, right?***


Last night's story time

"I do not think of all the misery, but of the glory that remains. Go outside into the fields, nature and the sun, go out and seek happiness in yourself and in God. Think of the beauty that again and again discharges itself within and without you and be happy." Anne Frank

The blessings in my life are not to be taken for granted. Even on the bad days, the days when we are too grouchy with each other or the energy does not seem to be there for the requirements of the day, there are blessings heaped up and falling over the edges of my life. I don't want my life to seem like a fantasy; we live serious reality around here, and this week more than some. But, here I focus on my gratitude. I focus on the fact that we sat by the bonfire and read Ben Hur aloud last night, not on the trials of teaching boys how to load a fire with leaves without lighting the county on fire. I focus on the privilege it is to homeschool my children, not on the fact that we had some long conversations in the garden about what it means to work hard, be focused, and develop character for the future. I focus on the incredible gift it is to have my mother next door, not on the times I have to drive her to an appointment when I really want to stay home. This is a discipline; there is always weakness or dreariness or ugliness that can be pointed out. But, if those who have suffered through famine, battle, poverty, persecution, and even death can be thankful, then all of us can.

I am deeply thankful for my husband. He works hard all day, and then he comes home and works hard some more. Watching him read Ben Hur last night caused my mind to race through the last twenty years; our marriage has had some "dark nights of the soul", but man! am I blessed. I could tell you the things he doesn't do; I could tell you the things that he does do that even he wishes he didn't. But, facts are, he's a heap of treasure that I will not tarnish. I am one grateful woman.

My children come in next. At ages 15, 14, 12, 9 and 6, I feel the stretch of my physical, mental, and emotional capabilities daily in our life together, but they are interesting, engaging, hard working, funny people! Their interests spread from historical fashion to distortion pedals, from Celtic harps to Star Wars, and yet they all lock on to the common ground of their faith, their family and the shared buzz words and experiences we have together.

Mom comes next. Moving her here was difficult; setting parameters that would be respectful to all was hard as well. Now, we are enjoying the fruit of our labors. She likes to be with the children, she respects home education and boosts me up when I am tired. She folds laundry and watches children for date nights. She makes them cheeseburgers and chips and grapes and they watch movies that I just can't watch one more time. She also has countless appointments for lab, doctor, and pharmacy, she doesn't like too much noise, and gets grouchy just like the rest of us. When you love someone who is in their late seventies, though, you are reminded of something that is actually true with all of us: "They won't be here forever. Don't waste time complaining." Knowing that it is true of my mother has helped me to treat others the same.

We have good friends for whom we are thankful. We have cars that run well (anyone who has gone through years without that knows what a blessing it is...especially in the country.) We have a church family we appreciate. We have appliances that are experiencing long life. We have warm and beautiful clothes. We have candles. We have ears to hear music and laughter and words shared in the late night hours. We have eyes to see each other and our view and the needs of others, the beauty of nature, the stars at night. We have cats that make us laugh. We have a dog that lived for another Thanksgiving, and she makes us laugh, too. We have a bonfire pit. We have books. And more books. We have coffee and wine and chocolate. We have the freedom to vote and say things that are important to us. We don't hide when we attend church; we don't keep our bibles in a dark cellar. We have a good fence. We have turkey in the oven. We are all healthy (drippy noses and coughs as the exception.) We have a God in heaven who knows the number of hairs on our heads. His Spirit, breathed into our lives, gives us the wherewithal to enjoy our lives to the fullest. Yes, amidst the responsibilities of daily life; amidst the stress that is put upon us and that we, for some reason, bring upon ourselves; amidst the sadness and fear and worry, we are so incredibly blessed. But, it is not just the big, eternal things for which I am thankful. I am also thankful for the little things that accessorize my life with beauty and simple pleasure. This is a rich life; thank you, Lord, for it all.

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...