Sunday, December 04, 2005

Finally, what we have been, will be, and are currently reading


The stacks

Throughout October and November I gathered together the books that you, my faithful readers, sent in as your current selections (or favorites that had to be listed.) Those posts can be found here:

Part the First
Part the Second
Part the Third
Part the Fourth
Part the Fifth

Finally, I have collected the books that we are reading, together and separately. This reflects a few weeks of reading, as I began this post some three weeks ago.



The Language of God, Ron Julian, David Crabtree, Jack Crabtree

This book will be a blog post of its own very soon. From my husband:
"It is an excellent presentation of common sense principles for understanding how to read the bible." We are using it for a home Sunday School class each week. Written by men who teach at Gutenberg College in Eugene, Oregon.

Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
Northanger Abbey and Persuasion, Jane Austen
Missing Susan, Sharyn McCrumb
Touchstone magazine


What Are People For?, Wendell Berry

Weekend Knitting , Melanie Falick. Recommended by Cheeky Mama at I Have to Say. I agree with her assessment; I cannot imagine doing one of these projects in a weekend, but it is an excellent resource. Beautiful photography.

Light from Heaven, Jan Karon


The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana, Umberto Eco

After my weeks-on-end read through The Name of the Rose, I found myself curious about more of Eco's work. This volume is about an antique book dealer who has some sort of stroke that takes away his memory of who he is and anything about his personal life. He can, however, quote prose and poetry, songs and movies. How the brain works (or doesn't) is one of my fascinations, and I am attracted to stories about memory loss. One of my other favorites is The Face of a Stranger by Anne Perry. What I find particularly thought-provoking about both of these stories is that the protagonists learn that they weren't necessarily admirable people. What a rare thing to be able to look at oneself as an outsider. How do they respond? How would I respond? Fascinating.

Rise to Rebellion, Jeff Shaara
Long Spoon Lane, Anne Perry



Biology of Plants, Peter H. Raven, Ray F. Evert, Susan E. Eichhorn

Plutarch Lives, Volume II
The Code of the Woosters, P.G. Wodehouse
Hidden Art of Homemaking, Edith Schaeffer
Stowaway, Karen Hesse
Photography for Dummies, Russell Hart
Creating Web Pages for Dummies, Bud Smith
Exploring Creation with Biology, Jay Wile
Star Wars: Jedi Under Siege
The Tale of Three Trees, Angela Elwell Hunt
The Christmas Stories of George MacDonald
Voyage of the Dawn Treader: Focus on the Family Radio Theatre
Stories by Firelight, Shirley Hughes
If you haven't read Shirley Hughes to your children, you are in for a treat. The Alfie and Annie Rose books are our favorites. The illustrations are charming.

First Things Magazine


Ben Hur, Lew Wallace

What a perfect read-aloud for the Christmas season. We have huddled around the bonfire, curled up on stormy days, and sat by the light of the Christmas tree to hear the next installment.

Different family members are reading Dangerous Journey: The Story of Pilgrim's Progress by Oliver Hunkin to my youngest. My oldest is reading The Hobbit to her sister and younger brother. The girls are reading Little Women together.

I'm sure there's more. There are Bob Books, early readers and other picture books in the library basket by the door. There are several Wodehouse volumes around the house in various states of "read-ness", and the Pink (Red/Orange/Violet/Brown/Blue) Fairy Books are regular companions. Tomorrow the list will change, but for now I will leave it at that.

This Tuesday is a big day at our house. It is my husband's 44th birthday, and it is the one year anniversary of A Circle of Quiet. I will look forward to reflecting on the past year; it's been a year to remember!

Happy Sunday, friends.

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...