Friday, December 16, 2005

For Miz Booshay

When Miz Booshay makes a request, I find it hard to say no. So, here are my two favorite ornaments. Yes, she asked for one. Yes, I have a hard time choosing favorites. If you ask for my 5 (6, 8, 10) favorite books or movies, I will have to choose 6 (7, 9, 11.) My favorite ornament? There are two:



I bought this plate ornament in Halstaat, Austria in 1988 where I was traveling with my husband and some friends. We had done some missionary work in Romania and were there to vacation before returning home. For four years I had wanted to come back to this spot. In 1984, I sat in a little room up on the hill in Halstaat, overlooking the lake that dominates the scenery. I had just finished a summer mission project in Poland, and I was spending some longed-for time writing in my journal. As I wrote, I realized something important...that there was a young man back home whom I hoped someday to call my husband. Four years later, we were there together; seventeen years later, I am remembering Halstaat like it was yesterday.

*side note* About the link for Halstaat: I don't know anything about the person who posted these pictures. They are exactly as I picture the village in my mind, though. If that was your view, wouldn't you dream of the boy back home?



Yes, this is a favorite. My children think this is a ridiculous looking ornament, and I suppose they are right. But, I love it nonetheless. One of my roommates made it for me for Christmas in 1983. The three women I had as roommates then taught me volumes about how to live together in peace. They showed me unconditional love, taught me the value of working hard together, and inspired me with their intellects and their generous spirits. Plus, we had a TON of crazy fun together. The ornament came with several boys attached to it. (Sorry, no explanation will be offered about that; once I got married, those "disappeared.") I keep the angel as a reminder of their long-suffering friendship, their patience and love, and the wholesome fun we had in living together. It makes me smile!

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...