Saturday, December 31, 2005

Late night musings

I rarely stay up until the wee hours of the morning anymore. Sleep deprivation and my life do not make a pretty combination, and I find myself heading off to bed earlier and earlier during the school week. But, there is something to be said for staying up until that deep, penetrating silence fills the house. As a natural night owl, I have passed on the propensity to my children, but I love it when the hush finally fills the corners of the house. Quiet, rhythmic breathing can be heard in the bedrooms, and my mind is allowed to really, deeply think. I do have plenty of time in my days for complete thoughts; my children know I need some quiet each day, and I know that they need the same. But, there comes a time when I need not only complete thoughts, but the thoughts that come next, and the aha! moments that come after that. When it is quiet, suddenly the solution becomes clear. A little longer, and the inspiration hits. A little longer and the unanswerable questions become bearable. These quiet moments are my gold mine, my fountain of youth, my heaven on earth.

It is approaching the dawn of a new year, and with that comes many hopes and dreams and plans and schemes. But, my heart's desire remains the same: to love the Lord my God with all my heart, soul, mind and strength, and to love my neighbor as myself. I want to listen in the quiet moments and to quiet myself in the cacophonous ones. I hope to always see and notice the amazing people and things around me. And, I strive to be faithful to complete each day's calling, and to find joy and peace amidst each and every circumstance the Lord sees fit to place in my life.

We are off to the upper regions of California to be cooped up in bliss with our friends. We will be ringing in the new year with card games, movies, long conversations interrupted by eleven beautiful children, hiking in the (forecasted) rain, laughing, and conversing some more. The five-hour drive is the first leg of our summer vacation route, but the scenery in winter will be quite different. Audiobooks will accompany us, helping to pass the time as we eagerly await our reunion. Until we return, I wish you a HAPPY NEW YEAR!

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...