Monday, January 02, 2006

Reading for 2006

Many of my favorite blog sites have recently listed favorite books from 2005, reading plans for 2006, or simply the books currently in the stack. I have never kept track of my books read, never followed a plan of those I will read. Moving from one to the next, discovering worlds and characters before unknown, I always end up with a good year of reading. This year, though, I seriously considered joining my friend at Writing and Living for a year of Dickens; we jokingly refer to each other as Twin Daughters of Different Mothers (think Dan Fogelberg and Tim Weisberg here), so I thought it might be fun to be on the same reading plan. Then, I found myself clicking "send" at Amazon.com, with nary a Dickens in my cart. How would I possibly get through all of Dickens and read the stack I just ordered? Not going to happen. Oh well, at least I figured that out before I jumped into the deep end.

My plan? To keep reading. The only change will be to scribble a list of all the books I have read in the back of my little red leather calendar . I also plan to focus on things that I own or that I can borrow from the library. Yeah, yeah, it sounds like another resolution that will be easy to break, but I can certainly keep it for January and February. When you add The Count of Monte Cristo to the stack from Amazon, I will be a happy and busy reader for weeks to come.

The latest Amazon stack:

Madeleine L'Engle

Certain Women: A Novel
Glimpses of Grace: Daily Thoughts and Reflections
Madeleine L'Engle Herself : Reflections on a Writing Life
The Ordering of Love : The New and Collected Poems of Madeleine L'Engle

Elizabeth Gaskell

Ruth
Mary Barton
Cranford
Elizabeth Gaskell: A Habit of Stories (a biography by Jenny Uglow)

Plus:

Miniatures and Morals: The Christian Novels of Jane Austen by Peter Leithart
Slouching Towards Bethlehem : Essays by Joan Didion
The Day I Became an Autodidact by Kendall Hailey
The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin

A variety of reading lists can be found at the following:

Mental multivitamin
Semicolon, with another post that has links to other's lists
Sparrow at Intent
pages turned
The Economist's books of the year 2005

Mrs. M-mv and Semicolon were inspiration for selections in my current stack.

When I think of the reading to come, I am grateful for my eyesight, my ability to think and imagine as I read, the strength to hold a book, and the passion to keep learning. With new stories to read, people and countries and philosophies to be introduced to, it promises to be a grand year.

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...