Friday, February 03, 2006

Our health crusade & homemade pretzels



In the early hours of flu recovery in mid-January, I made some resolutions. Illness had had its way in our family too often over the last eight months and I was, literally, sick of it. We've made several changes, one of which is I have been on a cooking crusade, making sure that I know the exact ingredients in our food. I have been using that outer rim of the grocery store more than the inner aisles (where premade treats sing their siren song) and I have been baking more. Fresh bread, plus a little fruit spread, has been a welcome replacement to our past treats, but I know that variety will help us stay dedicated. Fortunately, Randi from I Have to Say posted a link to:

The Fresh Loaf: News & Information for Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts.

The Fresh Loaf has great recipes, provides an excellent forum for asking questions, and writes recipe instructions with the true amateur in mind. I started with researching sourdough, and I now have my starter beginning its magic in a warm corner of the kitchen. While we wait for it to be ready, I decided to figure out how to make pretzels. This recipe looks great; I'll let you know how they turn out. I know it can always be healthier (whole wheat, freshly ground, sprouted, etc.) but at least the ingredients are simple, and they are an excellent replacement to the bags on the snack aisle at Safeway. Progress, not perfection, is our motto. With the simple changes we have implemented in the last three weeks, we feel so much better.

This post would be incomplete without thanks to Sparrow who, amidst leaky roof diagnostics and flooring renovations, answered many questions and gave several helpful suggestions. The woman is a fount of knowledge.

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...