Sunday, February 19, 2006

Turning seven


Seven!!!!

Happy, happy birthday to our youngest. Friday was a busy day of celebrating -- presents, time with Daddy at work, burgers with everyone at home for lunch, chocolate cake in the shape of a cathedral (thanks to our dinner guests), and plenty of love and appreciation to keep the smile glowing all night long.



It's been a full year of being six, with learning to ski and taking a fifteen-mile hike as the highlights, and now seven is already off with a bang. Today is a ski day for those who aren't of the fair weather variety. I have one ten-year-old home with me, and the rest have headed off to the slopes, hoping the promise of low temperatures would scare off some of the holiday weekend crowds. With the light powder that fell throughout much of Friday and Saturday night, though, my guess is that the snow conditions will help many to ignore the thermometer. That didn't scare my seven-year-old, though. He is ready to swish on the slopes for as long as possible.



When everyone was little (my oldest was eight when my youngest was born), there were days that felt very long. Even then, though, I knew that one day I would wake up and my youngest would be growing up. Now, the day has come. Everyone can tie their own shoes, make a sandwich in a pinch, pack their skis in the car, and take care of themselves in the bathroom (unless they are stranded without any toilet paper.) I am so glad that I did not hurry those early years. I have enjoyed each season of parenting, even the "three under three" days, but my guess is that the best is yet to be. Amidst our disagreements, and the hard work of each day, my six family members are really good company. I look forward to the years ahead, and give special thought to the future with this thoughtful, energetic, intelligent young man. I am proud to be his mama, happy to be his teacher, delighted to watch him grow. Happy birthday, son.

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...