Monday, April 10, 2006

The Andrew Kern conference

This past week-end's conference was a great encouragement. It's hard to collect my thoughts tonight (sleep deprivation combined with an early departure tomorrow morning), but I want to scribble down my rambling thoughts. I also want to give you a link for ordering the CD's of the lectures. I would certainly recommend them to you.

Quotes I am chewing on (remembered as best I can):

"We must model a relaxed but desperate hunger for wisdom." (The priorities in our lives speak volumes.)

"The quality of your life is determined by the quality of the questions you ask in your soul. Not necessarily the ones you speak, but the ones you are really, truly asking." I want to speak aloud my real questions, and I am challenging myself to make sure they are the questions that matter.

"Children perceive with their senses. They enjoy the sounds of words. It doesn't matter if they understand mature syntax; the question is this: will it matter in their minds later?"

"Cultivating good taste in a child is the first priority."

"We must raise our children from a state of rest."

"Contemplate ideas and discuss them with your friends."

If you are interested in ordering CD's, you can contact CCHE (Classical Christian Home Educators) here.

On a more personal note, having time with Patty in WA and Kate from Under the Sky was a slice of heaven. We chewed over what we were learning and enjoyed some Shiraz together. Sleep was not a priority, and I discovered that Kate is very, very funny at 3:30 in the morning; she learned that, as grippingly interesting as she may be, I can still fall asleep midsentence. Sorry 'bout that, Kate, but it was almost 4:00 a.m.

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...