Tuesday, May 16, 2006

My Mother's Day find

My husband dropped me and the girls at the used bookstore for half-an-hour on Mother's Day. Amidst Her Majesty the cat and the stacks of books cluttering the walkways, we were blissfully at home. Thirty minutes was long enough to spend a wad and find real treasure: an old copy of The Song of Roland, translated by Dorothy Sayers, some novels I had on my list for American history studies this summer, and this beauty:


Brother Cadfael's Herb Garden: An Illustrated Companion to Medieval Plants and Their Uses by Rob Talbot and Robin Whiteman.

If you are interested in herbs, this is a practical book; if you love Cadfael mysteries and the stories of monastic life, the quotes sprinkled throughout will feed the passion; if beautiful photographs are your thing, each page will fill your senses. If, like me, you appreciate all of the above, this is a perfect Mother's Day gift.

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...