Monday, September 11, 2006

Math motivation

In a recent email exchange with a blogger who prefers to remain anonymous (out of consideration for the following library employee), we were discussing math strengths (her family) and weaknesses (my family). She relayed this anecdote:

I was at the library a few weeks ago, and I had a $ 4.05 fine. I handed the librarian a five dollar bill, and she said, "Oh, I better get the calculator out for this one." I told her I should get 95 cents. She said, "Are you sure? I always get confused as to whether it should be $1.05 or 95 cents." I had a similar instance where she owed me 75 cents in change and had to use the calculator, so it's not that she was just having an off day. I can't fathom how she manages the Dewey decimal system. Anyway, no matter what happens, your children can surely have a bright future in the (insert anonymous blogger's state here) library system.

Initial response: laughter. Later response: I can honestly say I am now motivated to become a diligent, creative, rabid Math Teacher of the Year.

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...