Wednesday, October 25, 2006

St. Crispian's Day

October 25th, 1415: the Battle of Agincourt.

October 25th, 2006: what better day than today to watch


Branagh's Henry V

and to calligraphy in one's journal these words:




What's he that wishes so?
My cousin Westmoreland? No, my fair cousin;
If we are mark'd to die, we are enow
To do our country loss; and if to live,
The fewer men, the greater share of honour.
God's will! I pray thee, wish not one man more.
By Jove, I am not covetous for gold,
Nor care I who doth feed upon my cost;
It yearns me not if men my garments wear;
Such outward things dwell not in my desires.
But if it be a sin to covet honour,
I am the most offending soul alive.

(the entire speech can be found: here.)


Non Nobis Domine Non Nobis Sed Nomini Tuo Da Gloriam

(Not To Us, O Lord, Not To Us, But To Your Name Give Glory)

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...