Saturday, December 16, 2006

Winter Reading Challenge



I am quite sure that I am biting off w-a-y more than I can chew and read this season, but I also know that by making the list (and checking it twice) I will read far more than if I cry "Uncle!" and decide I am too busy for intentional reading. The winter season will include many car hours logged as I transport my three oldest children to speech tournaments to the south and the north of us. Perhaps I can find some in an audio version, providing myself with the brain food I need to be alert enough for the long hours as solo pilot for my speech students.

Biographies:

Jane Austen by Elizabeth Jenkins

Charles Dickens by G.K. Chesterton

Essays:

Standing by Words: Essays by Wendell Berry
Christian Reflections by C.S. Lewis
The Whimsical Christian by Dorothy Sayers



The Collected Works of G.K. Chesterton, Volume 20 (Includes Christendom in Dublin, Irish Impressions, A Short History of England and more)


Fiction


The Man Who Was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton

Bee Season by Myla Goldberg

About A Boy by Nick Hornby


Gilead by Marilynne Robinson

Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson


Non-fiction

The 36-hour Day: A Family Guide to Caring for Persons with Alzheimer Disease, Related Dementing Illnesses, and Memory Loss in Later Life by Mace and Rabins

ADD-Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life by Judith Kolberg and Kathleen Nadeau

Small is Beautiful: Economics as if People Mattered by E.F. Schumacher

Daily readings (not books to finish this season):



The Intellectual Devotional: Revive Your Mind, Complete Your Education, and Roam Confidently with the Cultured Class by David Kidder, Noah Oppenheim

The Oxford Book of English Verse Edited by Arthur Quiller-Couch

Many thanks to Seasonal Soundings for inspiring me to keep planning and reading!

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...