Saturday, January 27, 2007

History, politics, or opinion?

In my last semester of college, I had a government class that became an all-time favorite. It was the first time I was able to listen to someone argue any and every political position without revealing their own opinion. He promised us that at the end of the semester we would have no idea what his political affiliations were. Each day as we left class, we were sure we knew, but at the next class he was able to argue the opposite side with just as much detailed analysis and what I would have sworn was personal conviction. He was right: I never knew his opinion, but I sure knew a lot more about liberal, conservative and all points in between and around about. It was a great class.

My dear Autumn Rain is wishing for just a bit of personal opinion restraint in her history class this semester. I can only hope, dear niece, that the assigned reading is fascinating enough to make up for the class time. I encourage you to remember that your frustrations with her lecture style and content can fuel your writing gift and equip you for the areas of influence you will have in the years to come.

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...