Saturday, March 01, 2008

Another week, another debate tournament

My creation

Things learned this time around:

1) Traveling with three teenage boys is a blast.
2) Traveling with an eighteen-year-old, driving boy makes the drive home a joy.
3) Concordia University, Irvine, CA is beautiful.
4) Staying with a loving family is the perfect way to finish a long day. No matter how long the drive.
5) I love our debate group. Love them. Parents, students, younger siblings. All of them.
6) Breaking to the out-rounds is a thrill.
7) Not breaking to the out-rounds is disappointing.
8) Getting a bye in your first year is amazing.
9) Anything less than qualifying for the national tournament requires an attitude adjustment.
10) Hiding at Java City with dear friends reminds me how blessed I am with friendship.
11) Hiding in the car and letting the battery die is not a good idea.
13) Some people are ready to serve, in a dark parking lot, even if they don't know you. They were like Jesus with jumper cables. Since I was traveling sans spouse, that was a huge gift.
12) If you have to stay at a hotel because of a battery problem, you will have the following concerns:
  • Cost. Ouch.
  • No suitcase.
This results in the following concerns:
  • No toothbrush
  • No pajamas.
  • No hairbrush.
  • No coffee.
This results in the following concern:

  • Going to the local Irvine coffee shop, surrounded by Tres Chic Business Women, looking like a woman who slept in her clothes and didn't brush her teeth and hair. Can I just say I am deeply grateful that I know NO ONE in Irvine, CA?
13) Big joys and big stress are exhausting.
14) Even with all that, I would do it all again. In fact, I will....next week. But I think "we" have learned the "physiology" of a car battery well enough to not repeat some of the above.

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...