Sunday, November 22, 2009

Leavings



When Wendell Berry was in San Francisco earlier this month, the greatest part of the evening was when he quietly pulled a piece of paper out of his pocket, unfolded it and read to us a new poem. I have no idea when I will get to read it for myself, to remember his words with my mind that forgets too easily, but the recitation of that one poem was enough impetus for me to purchase his newest collection of poetry. I may not remember the sublime words he read that perfect night, but I can savor Leavings until the words sink in and penetrate my heart.



I.

I know that I have life
Only insofar as I have love.

I have no love
except it come from Thee.

Help me, please, to carry
this candle against the wind.

~2005~




Signed...how sweet is that?

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...