Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The shortest day of the year





















And so the Shortest Day came and the year died
And everywhere down the centuries of the snow-white world
Came people singing, dancing,
To drive the dark away.
They lighted candles in the winter trees;
They hung their homes with evergreen;
They burned beseeching fires all night long
To keep the year alive.
And when the new year's sunshine blazed awake
They shouted, revelling.
Through all the frosty ages you can hear them
Echoing behind us - listen!
All the long echoes, sing the same delight,
This Shortest Day,
As promise wakens in the sleeping land:
They carol, feast, give thanks,
And dearly love their friends,
And hope for peace.
And now so do we, here, now,
This year and every year.

by Susan Cooper
(HT: Donna, via wonderful Quiet Life Comment Section member Jep)

It is hard to believe that yesterday was the shortest day of the year. When I am sick, time does not fly. And when I am sick and I haven't finished my Christmas shopping and I am on the couch and unable to blow my nose even though I should be able to blow my nose for an hour without running out of a reason for blowing my nose? Well let's just say I totally forgot that it was the shortest day of the year.

But it was. And today, as I finally dragged my slug body out to get a few more things done before Christmas, I realized how hard it is for me to remember that life will not always be what it is right now. When I am sick, I cannot imagine being well. When it is raining, I cannot imagine that the sun will shine again.

But yesterday was the shortest day of the year, which means that today is longer. And tomorrow will be longer. Time passes, things change. I might even feel better tomorrow. I might actually be done with Christmas shopping before Christmas. These are all very encouraging facts.


And now the days start tipping toward the light, toward length of days and summer's warmth. And even though today is another rainy day, and I still can't blow my nose, and I have to do my Christmas shopping despite how I feel, I am filled with thoughts of light and hope.


The people walking in darkness 
have seen a great light;
on those living in the land of deep darkness 
a light has dawned. 
Isaiah 9:2

1 comment:

elizabeth said...

Yes, a light has dawned.

*

Hoping you feel better soon. Hang in there.

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...