Monday, September 19, 2011

Highly recommended


"I was not born in Alabama in the 1890s.  You may as well know this now.  I've never eaten grits, cropped a share, or ridden a boxcar.  No gypsy woman attended my birth and there's no hellhound on my  trail, as far as I'm aware  Let this record show that I am a white, middle-class Englishman, openly trespassing on the music and myth of the American south.

If that weren't bad enough, I'm also an actor: one of those pampered ninnies who can't find his way through an airport without a babysitter....

Worst of all, I've broken an important rule of art, music and career paths: actors are supposed to act, and musicians are supposed to music.  That's how it works.  You don't buy fish from a dentist, or ask a plumber for financial advice, so why listen to an actor's music?

The answer is - there is no answer.  If you care about pedigree then you should try elsewhere, because I have nothing in your size....

These great and beautiful artists lived it as they played it.  All of them knew the price of a loaf of bread and most had times in their lives when they couldn't scrape it together.  They had credentials, in other words, and I respect those as much as the next man, possibly more.

But at the same time, I could never bear to see this music confined to a glass cabinet, under the heading Culture:  Only To Be Handled By Elderly Black Men.  That way lies the grave, for the blues and just about everything else:  Shakespeare only performed at The Globe, Bach only played by Germans in tights.  It's formaldehyde...

So that's my only credential - my one dog-eared ID card that I hope will get me through the velvet ropes.  I love this music, as authentically as I know how, and I want you to love it, too.  If you get a thousandth of the pleasure from it that I've had, we're ahead of the game."
 

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...