Thursday, November 29, 2012

From the archives: Author birthday extravaganza

Today is the birthday of three favorite authors:  Madeleine L'Engle, C.S. Lewis and Louisa May Alcott.  In honor of their birthday, I have listed some favorite quotes and books and one movie.


The Insistence of Chronology

During our mortal lives, however, chronos is not merely illusion. My body aging is aging according to human chronology, not nucleon or galactic chronology. My knees creak. My vision is variable. My energy span is shorter than I think it ought to be. There is nothing I can do to stop the passage of this kind of time in which we human beings are set. I can work with it rather than against it, but I cannot stop it. I do not like what it is doing to my body. If I live as long as many of my forebears, these outward diminishments will get worse, not better. But these are the outward signs of chronology, and there is an other Madeleine who is untouched by them, the part of me that lives forever in kairos and bears God's image.
From Glimpses of Grace: Daily Thoughts and Reflections of Madeleine L'Engle


But the great thing to remember is that, though our feelings come and go, His love for us does not.  It is not wearied by our sins, or our indifference; and, therefore, it is quite relentless in its determination that we shall be cured of those sins, at whatever cost to us, at whatever cost to Him. 

From Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis

Every few weeks she would shut herself up in her room, put on her scribbling suit, and fall into a vortex, as she expressed it, writing way at her novel with all her heart and soul, for till that was finished she could find no peace.

From Little Women by Louisa May Alcott



Favorite books by these authors:




 





(worthy of note:  we love the movie of The Inheritance, but the book didn't do it for us.  The father in the movie is a great character, and he is fabulously quotable.)


Last year's meme post in honor of Lewis, L'Engle and Alcott.

8 comments:

Pilgrim said...

Thank you for sharing. Big day.

The quote by M. L'E?

Di said...

Thank you for noticing the missing quote, Pilgrim. I appreciate it.

Di

Pilgrim said...

You're welcome. Thank you for the quote. I'm beginning to identify with that one. :-)

Donna Boucher said...

Beautiful quotes. Especially L'Engle's.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sweet Woodruff said...

Hi. Just checking in with you. I hope you haven't stopped blogging. I think I'll tweet that O'Flannery quote you have up. Blog when you can. Take care. :)

diablo 3 gold said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...