Monday, January 31, 2005

William Carlos Williams (1912 -1962)

The Red Wheelbarrow

so much depends
upon

a red wheel
barrow

glazed with rain
water

beside the white
chickens

********************************

Confession: I do not get this poem. I can still remember sitting in a college lit. class thinking, "What is THAT?" It has been a source of joking with my English major husband, and I hesitate to ever say, "It depends." The expected punch line is delivered, "upon a red wheelbarrow," and I give a little chuckle. Chuckle, yes. Comprehension, no.

But, in the spirit of Fake It Until You Make It, I post The Red Wheelbarrow. Or, put another way, this is my Field of Dreams post: "If I blog it, it will come."

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...