Monday, February 07, 2005

Grammar snobs

From Joanne Jacobs:

A grammar snob at school

... on whether it's snobby to demand correct grammar in school. A Fairbanks, Alaska elementary teacher saw that the "Parents Lounge" sign was missing its apostrophe.

"So, I whipped out my handy marker and was inserting an apostrophe when my principal came along. She told me we must not be grammar snobs. Right, at an educational institution, it's never good form to actually try to educate."


The teacher saw the sign as an imperative, ordering parents to lounge, while I think it was a general comment about parents' tendency to lounge.


Jacobs then mentions Eats, Shoots & Leaves, a popular book in our house. Like to talk about grammar? Like to laugh? Not used to being able to multi-task those two items? Now is your chance.

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...