Saturday, March 12, 2005

L'Abri

This weekend is the L'Abri Jubilee Celebration in St. Louis, Mo. L'Abri may not be familiar to you, so here is the description from the L'Abri website:

L'Abri is a French word that means shelter. The first L'Abri community was founded in Switzerland in 1955 by Dr. Francis Schaeffer and his wife, Edith. Dr. Schaeffer was a Christian theologian and philosopher who also authored a number of books on theology, philosophy, general culture and the arts.

The L'Abri communities are study centers in Europe, Asia and America where individuals have the opportunity to seek answers to honest questions about God and the significance of human life. L'Abri believes that Christianity speaks to all aspects of life.



I feel a great debt to Dr. and Mrs. Schaeffer. Many of the things I hold dear today I first read in their books. I don't always agree with their take on things, but I love how they make me think. Whether issues as political as abortion, or as domestic as a bread recipe, I have found inspiration. Above all, their love of books, the arts, philosophy, and beauty was a great example to me, convincing me that my everyday life was valuable. My husband and I visited L'Abri in Switzerland for a quick week of a dream come true in 1988. We worked the gardens, made bread and homemade mayonnaise, and studied. I read and listened to works on feminism and the church, and enjoyed meeting folks from around the world that were also there studying.

Many Schaeffers have written books worth reading. Here are a few:

Books by Francis Schaeffer:

The God Who Is There

He Is There and Is Not Silent

Books by Edith Schaeffer:

L'Abri

What Is a Family?

Hidden Art of Homemaking

Books by their unique and interesting offspring:

Frank (sometimes Franky) Schaeffer:

Keeping Faith: A Father-Son Story About Love and the United States Marine Corps

Addicted to Mediocrity: 20th Century Christians and the Arts
(Whatever you think of Frank Schaeffer's writing, you must agree he is not boring)

Susan Schaeffer Macaulay (a homeschool favorite):
For The Children's Sake


For The Family's Sake: The Value of the Home in Everyone's Life


How To Be Your Own Selfish Pig


I have always joked with my husband that he didn't need to worry about making more money....I would just spend it all anyway. And, spend it I would on trips to places like St. Louis for this celebration.

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...