Monday, April 25, 2005

Robert McCloskey (1914 - 2003)


Jack, Kack, Lack, Mack.....

At the lake where we walk, run and play, baby birds are beginning to appear. This family of ducks swam around next to our path just last week, and on each visit we watch a mother Canada goose sit dutifully on her nest. Early this morning we saw a family with five goslings, but our mama was still on her nest when we got to that spot on the shore. Babies tomorrow? We shall see.


When I saw the happy couple with their brood of chicks, I couldn't help but think of Make Way for Ducklings.

"Mr. and Mrs. Mallard were looking for a place to live. But every time Mr. Mallard saw what looked like a nice place, Mrs. Mallard said it was no good. There were sure to be foxes in the woods or turtles in the water, and she was not going to raise a family where there might be foxes or turtles. So they flew on and on."


This is another of those books that I could easily read in the dark, although I wouldn't want to miss the illustrations. Since my husband's favorite childhood book was Blueberries for Sal, and one of my top-ten favorite children's books is Time of Wonder, Mr. McCloskey gets plenty of air time here at our house.

Another McCloskey classic was recently remembered: One Morning in Maine. At dinner one night last week, my youngest son announced, "My tooth is as loose as loose can be." Then, after a bite of dinner - voila! The tooth fairy's phone was ringing. In One Morning in Maine, Sal has the same experience and she tells her mother, the hawk, the loon, the seal, and then her father:

"Daddy! I have a loose tooth!" she shouted. "And when it drops out I'm going to put it under my pillow and wish a wish. You can see it wiggle!"


There's a simplicity in these stories, both in the writing and the illustrating, that is very pleasant. I have my McCloskey favorites next to my bed, ready for a story or two tonight. Our day will be busy with an art class in the Big Town down the hill, but that will just make the evening routine of stories and snuggling all the sweeter.

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...