Sunday, April 24, 2005

A whirwind trip

We made the decision to travel to Seattle this weekend. Thanks to a collection of friends (that it would take a spread sheet to acknowledge) we were able to go away for two full days. Friday's occasion was a gathering in honor of our Uncle John. He was my husband's god-father, and his life was characterized by faithfulness, integrity and dignity, and we enjoyed having time with his wife and children, and with other family members. Friday night we stayed on Whidbey Island at my mother-in-law's home, and boy is it BEAUTIFUL there.

Highlights included:


The ferry ride


Seeing a bald eagle (it's up there - I promise!)


and a walk on the beach with my mother-in-law

**A side note **
In this "cyberspacey" world we live in, there can be virtual friends or real-life friends, but I am happy to say that the line is fuzzier with some dear folks. I was so appreciative of knowing that, should I need them, I could call on MomBob at WPMs, and Amanda at Wittingshire. Your phones didn't ring, ladies, but I waved across the highway and from the ferry deck in your general directions. Your offers of support were greatly appreciated.


Saturday night we even enjoyed our time at the airport, with a quiet dinner and some time to sit and read. We did a lot of talking on Friday and Saturday, and we both needed to blank out a bit with NBA news and Star Wars trivia in the paper.

It was nice that the Seattle Airport understands our travel needs!

When people started lining up for boarding, I went by myself. I needed to stand up and wiggle for awhile before the flight, and my husband wanted to read about the Sonics and Kings game, so it was the perfect option. But, unfortunately, I found myself unable to block out a conversation between four women traveling together, and one man that was by himself. It all started with a discussion of appliances. Suggestions of preferred brands were thrown around, costs were bemoaned, and then one woman said, "Well, you know, I have a husband and three sons. Mine needs to be made out of something that won't break, because you know how men and boys are!" The man bravely retorted, "Sounds like you already have at least three dishwashers" but this only fueled the fire of the "men and boys/lazy bums/you understand" topic. I did my best to ignore it all, but my Star Wars trivia article was over, and I struggled to find any of the rest of the news interesting. Ten minutes later, my husband came over and joked, "Mind if I cut in line?" The husband-bashing group laughed, and we started talking with them. The other women asked if I had enjoyed the men-hating topic, but the gentleman that they had been speaking with turned to my husband and said, "You know, she didn't say a word. She just kept reading." I was so glad that he said that. I wanted my husband to know that I didn't say anything, that I didn't do the "Oh yeah, boy do I know" eye roll, and I didn't chuckle at their "witty" digs. After all, I really do enjoy my husband, and he enjoys me. What can possibly be accomplished by that kind of talk, even if the husband and sons are hundreds of miles away? It eats away at affection, and it belittles people that need love and respect. I know my husband stood up a little straighter to know that my not-so-fascinating USA Today held more interest than a man-hating harangue. And so he should. He's a fine man, and far less capable of breaking a dishwasher than I am.

We made it home, as did our offspring, and we collapsed in our too-comfortable-to-believe bed. It is great to fly away with the man I love, but it's even better coming back home.

A full moon flight

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...