Monday, June 06, 2005

A nod to Wittingshire

One of my favorite spots in the blog world is Wittingshire. Discussions of poetry, family, Intelligent Design, and life as a Christian are all regular themes. This week-end, as a part of their regular Poem Sunday feature, they posted this poem:

Good Company

Today I have grown taller from walking with the trees,
The seven sister-poplars who go softly in a line;
And I think my heart is whiter for its parley with a star
That trembled out at nightfall and hung above the pine.

The call-note of a redbird from the cedars in the dusk
Woke his happy note within me to answer free and fine;
And a sudden angel beckoned from a column of blue smoke--
Lord, who am I that they should stoop--these holy folk of thine?

--Karle Wilson Baker (1878-1960)



For more commentary on the poet, see their post here. And, while you are there, read further. I always come away stimulated and refreshed.

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...