Tuesday, July 12, 2005

A Midsummer Night's Dream

We have just a few days, and then we will be off to see Shakespeare in the Park for our sixteenth season in a row. I missed a year or two with babies that needed me at night, but some of us have gone every year. A picnic in the park, a chance to visit with friends or family, and an evening of Shakespeare on the stage, adds up to loads of fun.

We went to the Shakespeare Festival in Ashland, Oregon for our honeymoon. I had no clue about Shakespeare, and I found myself sleepy and uninterested during the performances. Nineteen years later, though, I can't wait to see another play. They are like old friends that we get to introduce our children to, and going on this late night adventure is a privilege that they look forward to each summer.


This afternoon will be the first round of reader's theater for A Midsummer Night's Dream, and I get to read Puck. I will probably have to be some other lesser character, too, but Puck is the role for me. Making mischief will be such fun.

"If we shadows have offended,
Think but this, and all is mended,
That you have but slumbered here
While these visions did appear.
And this weak and idle theme,
No more yielding but a dream,
Gentles, do not reprehend.
If you pardon, we will mend.
And, as I am an honest Puck,
If we have unearned luck,
Now to scape the serpent's tongue,
We will make amends ere long;
Else the Puck a liar call.
So, good night unto you all.
Give me your hands, if we be friends,
And Robin shall restore amends."

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...