Saturday, July 09, 2005

Summer Adventures

"Take me out to the ball game, Take me out with the crowd."













While I was typing away on Thursday night, my family was off to see a Giant's game at SBC Park in beautiful San Francisco. They had never been to the park before, and they had a fantastic time. My husband and baseball go WAY back, and he has passed on his enthusiasm to most of the crew. The one holdout has been our oldest daughter who has been, shall we gently say, reluctant to learn much about sports at all. But, she has friends that are avid baseball fans, and she was finally ready to listen to the baseball lore. They had to start at the very beginning, but her thoughts on learning the game were summed up with, "Well, Daddy, if I can do Latin-in-a-Week, surely I can do Baseball-in-a-Hour."

A comment in my own defense: I love baseball, would have gone, but work called. That, plus my semi-regular need to wander around quiet spaces all by myself surfaced at just the right moment to wave goodbye to my favorite people on earth. I am glad they had such fun, and I am glad they came home to tell me every single detail, from batting practice, to cotton candy in the sixth, to the drive home.

You will note the rather winterish looking garb on the gamers. Well, as Mark Twain said, "The coldest winter I ever spent was summer in San Francisco." Oh, I love The City.

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...