Friday, July 08, 2005

Teacher Appreciation Day



Last month, on a warm and sleepy afternoon, my husband and children gathered in the living (everything) room to shower me with Teacher Appreciation Day speeches and presents. This was a tough school year for me. My brain felt like a bog (often), and I found myself plodding through the days a little closer to burn-out than I like to be. Age? Maybe. Stress? Possibly. Certain facts remain, though. I love home educating my children, my children learned a ton this year, and we made it through the bog.

In many ways, this year could be a "Best School Year" contender. The children grew in their ability to work independently, they saw me work hard when the ooey gooey feelings weren't there, and we all deepened our commitment to this lifestyle of learning. We observed and discovered, drew and evaluated, and battled through the subjects that were difficult. Each child also had an area where he or she could soar. Whether literature, languages, design, writing, or learning the basics, it was exciting for them to have a realm of learning that was easy and where their strengths were declared in all their magnificent glory.

I am grateful for my husband who was willing to be the inspiration for this event. Flowers, a few little gifts, and precious words that expressed thanks and appreciation with eloquence...it was a very special hour.

It may have been a tough year, but I am one blessed woman.


No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...