Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Charles Dickens (1812 - 1870)



"When I speak of home, I speak of the place where -- in default of a better -- those I love are gathered together; and if that place were a gypsy's tent, or a barn, I should call it by the same good name notwithstanding." Nicholas Nickleby

"There are dark shadows on the earth, but its lights are stronger in the contrast." The Pickwick Papers

Happy Birthday, Mr. Dickens! You are the one exception to my rule that books are not for show. Years ago we were given a complete set of Dickens' works, but they are "for display only." The leather is old, the pages are fragile, but I still love to see them on my pine cupboard shelf. If something is going to gather dust in the higher reaches of my living room, better Mr. Dickens than a collection of porcelain figurines.

Thanks to Semicolon for the Dickens birthday reminder.

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...