Monday, February 27, 2006

Get Real Day (with editorial reflections)

Sparrow's post last week inspired Randi to give a challenge to bloggers to "get real":
In the spirit of encouraging each other and having a good laugh, post a picture of your "real life", your "real house" or your "real self" on Monday, February 27 and add one surprising fact about yourself.

The problem is: what to choose? The science experiments in the frig? The laundry room in all its Monday glory? Well, as illuminating as these things could be, I chose these two gems: my under-the-stairs-closet and the to-be-folded laundry pile.


As you come down the hall in our downstairs, you will notice that the vacuum doesn't really fit inside the closet. It always is peeking out in some way.


A closer look reveals that there are too many things that call this closet home. Someday I will chuck half the stuff and give the vacuum its own space behind the closed closet door. Someday.

The other reality check I choose to share is my laundry folding pile.



This is a long couch, and this pile is deep. I would guess (having lost track) that there are six loads of laundry in the pile. I have two washing and drying right now, so the pile will only grow. But, I am done for tonight and the folding will wait until tomorrow. I'll divide the piles, and all these items will be put away in their proper spot by tomorrow afternoon. But, not tonight.

A surprising fact about myself? Hmmm...that is harder. I snore? I stopped peeking at Christmas presents when I turned forty? Procrastination is always a choice away for me? You pick your favorite.

I agree that there is value in being "real" for our readers. Even so, I think we need to issue a challenge to ourselves: don't be intimidated by people! Especially people only known through blogging. You can always find someone whose house is prettier, who decorates better, who reads more voraciously, who is more learned, who has more education, who articulates their faith more clearly or who exudes peace and contentment more than you do. If you find yourself feeling stupid after reading someone's blog, don't go back. You aren't stupid; you have a lot to learn! But that doesn't mean you are stupid, that means you are alive. We ALL have a lot to learn. If someone writes about family life, don't compare. Anything that makes you forget the value and uniqueness of your own family is a lose-lose proposition.

When I read Randi's blog, I am inspired by her writing. But my dear husband isn't going to be making a family room out of our porch, and I could not sew myself out of a bag if my life depended on it. I assume that Randi has her "oven cleaning/chocolate cereal for dinner" moments. My point is, though, that her humor, appreciation of her family, excellent recipes and book recommendations are also "real". Candle-lit dinners and flower gardens are just as much a part of my life as the science projects in the frig. or my moments of insecurity.

When I go to Mental multivitamin, I find articles worth reading, books that make me think, and a nudge to make the moments of my life count. I don't count her booklists and think, "Oh, good golly, I only read five books and she read fifteen. What a loser I am." Nope. Her writing has inspired me for over two years, and I am often challenged out of complacency to strive for more. Our list of books just read and pictures of children's smiling eyes are reality, too.

Dear Sparrow wrote in her original post:

I write to inspire myself. I take note of beautiful, good, true things so that I won't forget them...not because my life is made up of only beautiful, good, true things.

I suspect that's true of most bloggers when it comes down to it.

When people come to my house to visit, it is my goal to make them feel so warm and welcome that they will not notice the ugly light fixtures or freaky seventies decor. This is a struggle for me too because I am an introvert - small talk and light conversation don't come easy to me. But I pray for them before they come, light the candles, play good music, and make them something comforting to eat. I hope they feel completely at ease.

I want you to feel the same when you visit me at Intent. We are just simple, ordinary people here; pull up a chair, put your feet up and be yourself. There are brownies in the oven...

When I read Intent, I am enveloped by what I believe to be Sparrow's spiritual gift of hospitality. I can relax and rest at her spot, learn from her thoughts, and be inspired by the beauty that she posts in pictures and words. Her koi pond, her picnicking kings and queens of Narnia, her lemon-ginger cake for her husband are just as real as her struggles.

Remember, we all have weaknesses. When we read each other's blogs, let's give each other the benefit of the doubt. It's fun to share our ugly bathrooms and laundry piles, but it is also good and right to inspire with ideas and beautiful pictures.

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...