Friday, March 24, 2006

Quotidian bliss




Sometimes life hums along blissfully; sometimes it seems like it is all bumps and bruises. I have had my share of days when, just as I get the laundry done, someone wakes up with a wet bed. Or, just as I fall asleep, someone wakes up needing me. But not today. Oh, today I had one of those hum along moments. Just as the froth on the milk was at its peak, just as the espresso was done dripping out, just as the new IKEA cup was filled to the rim with a latte extraordinaire, Mr. UPS man came pulling in the driveway. And, he came running to my door with two new books:

Journey: New and Selected Poems, 1969-1999 by Kathleen Norris

The Quotidian Mysteries: Laundry, Liturgy and "Women's Work" by Kathleen Norris

If Mr. UPS and I had practiced, we couldn't have coordinated it any better. Children busy with quiet work, appliances at work on dishes and laundry, hawks calling from across the valley, and the occasional sprinkle of raindrops all joined to make it the perfect moment for feet up, book open, mind and soul enriched. The perfect lunch time break.

Happy Friday, my friends.

(Many thanks to Mrs. M-mv for the original introduction to The Quotidian Mysteries and to At A Hen's Pace for the recent quotes that motivated my purchase.)

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...