Monday, September 04, 2006

The Autumn Reading Challenge


I wrote of the upcoming Autumn Reading Challenge last week (here).

I have made my first pass through the stacks and these are my choices:


The Small Rain
by Madeleine L’Engle

Gilead
by Marilynne Robinson


The Letters of John and Abigail Adams

Jane Austen by Elizabeth Jenkins

Christian Reflections by C.S. Lewis

Let Your Life Speak: Listening for the Voice of Vocation by Parker Palmer


Three Short Novels by Wendell Berry

Standing by Words by Wendell Berry

King Lear by Shakespeare

The Whimsical Christian by Dorothy Sayers

Plus: three new mysteries (would love them to be by Dorothy Sayers, P.D. James and Anne Perry. The question is: will the library come through and have what I need? Oh, and have they written anything I have not read? James, probably not. Perry, definitely. Sayers? Probably. If not, Charles Todd is a happy replacement, and perhaps Mom-Next-Door can loan me a book or two. This is where the “don’t buy a new book for a couple of months" is being tested, although I don’t usually buy light mystery reading.)

Add to that my continued reading through Q's On the Art of Writing and Homer's Iliad, plus school starting up in earnest, and I may be biting off more than I can chew. But I, for one, would rather choke on too big a bite than starve for lack of sustenance.

Join us by posting a link to your blog at Seasonal Soundings. Happy Reading!

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...