Thursday, September 28, 2006

Fifteen sneaks up on some of us

Fifteen years old. Is it possible that my second oldest child, my oldest son, has turned fifteen? The calendar confirms it, the deep voice and the request for longer pants seem to indicate it, but it hardly seems possible; I turned my back for a moment, and fifteen years have flown by.




Some things haven't changed. The intensity he has shown from the moment he was born is still there; his great smile, honest character, physical strength and love of the outdoors have been evident from his earliest days. But now there is music, photography, Boy Scouts and Wodehouse to expand the vistas, provide the soundtracks, fill the quote files and stack up memories of a childhood worth remembering.





What's a mother to do when she looks up and her son has become a young man? My heart rejoices; I couldn't ask for anything better. Afterall, the training and teaching portion of parenting is only a temp job, and I like it that way. I've also had to look in the mirror and commit to finishing this race strong. As tall as he is, as deep as his voice is, the time is not yet gone; there are many days ahead of living together. My heart's desire is that we would fill those days with learning and hard work and outdoor adventures and lots and lots of talks. Even arguments are a welcome part of the future. Kind and well-reasoned, certainly, but we are the sort that will be arguing together. That intensity he was born with? It comes from the maternal line in his genetic combo, so I look forward to exciting conversations that are seasoned with grace and mercy. And lots and lots of laughter.

A favorite song of my birthday son, and an excellent prayer for the next year:

Lord I give my life
Living sacrifice
To reach a world in need
To be your hands and feet
So may the words I sing
And the things I do
Make my Lifesong sing to You.

Lifesong by Casting Crowns


Happy birthday, dear son.

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...