Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Recommended reading, listening, watching

Reading



It Doesn't Take A Genius: Five Truths to Inspire Success in Every Student by Randall McCutcheon and Tommie Lindsey

Albert Einstein was right: "It is the supreme art of teaching to awaken the joy in creative expression and knowledge."

In my thirty years of teaching, I've found that the best way to reveal that creative spirit is through public speaking. I've always believed that the voice is a window on the soul. The seat of the soul is, as Gerald de Nerval suggests, "not inside or outside a person, but the very place they overlap and meet the world." I've discovered that when teenagers come into high school, they have a number of issues to confront...It is my role as a teacher to provide kids with what they need to better address the issues and barriers they will inevitably face.

(HT: Seasonal Soundings. How can I ever thank you for the recommendation, Janie?)

December 2006 Touchstone Magazine (finally getting through the meaty pleasure of its contents)

FYI: The best stuff, some of the smaller articles, cannot be accessed online. Subscribe, order a back issue -- it's worth it. Every issue!

The Economist
This was a joint Christmas present to me and my husband...from my husband and me. Good stuff.

Listening



Prayer: A Windham Hill Collection. Includes Holy, Holy, Holy; Be Thou My Vision; Psalm 23; Ave Maria and more.

Watching



The Cadfael Collection

Another favorite Christmas present!

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...