Thursday, May 17, 2007

Spring reading challenge update



I have been a very undisciplined reader this spring. I haven't even looked at my list of books I posted in March. Of course I have kept reading, just not necessarily what I put on my list. SO....how have I done? Let's see:

ACTUALLY READ:

Amazing Grace in the Life of William Wilberforce, John Piper
Amazing Grace: William Wilberforce & the Heroic Fight to End Slavery, Eric Metaxas
Reading Like a Writer, Francine Prose
Whose Body?, Dorothy Sayers
Clouds of Witness, Dorothy Sayers
Crocodile on the Sandbank, Elizabeth Peters (and two others. Enjoyable, light reading. Funny characters.)

ADDED:
Broken Vessels by Andre Dubus (HT: Wittingshire)
Much Ado About Nothing, Shakespeare (added since we got to see the play last week-end...a remarkably well-done high school production!
We Shall Not Sleep, Anne Perry (fifth and final volume in her World War I series)

CHANGED TO:
Good Poems for Hard Times, Garrison Keillor (editor)
AND
Given: Poems, Wendell Berry
INSTEAD OF:
The Oxford Book of English Verse Edited by Arthur Quiller-Couch

IN PROCESS (yes, still):
Great Expectations, Charles Dickens (still listening.)
Henry IV, Part One, Shakespeare
Henry IV, Part Two, Shakespeare
Peril and Peace: Chronicles of the Ancient Church, Withrow and Withrow
The Intellectual Devotional: Revive Your Mind, Complete Your Education, and Roam Confidently with the Cultured Class, David Kidder, Noah Oppenheim

NOT STARTED YET:
Orthodoxy, G.K. Chesterton
The Canterbury Tales, Geoffrey Chaucer
Monks and Mystics: Chronicles of the Medieval Church
Courage and Conviction: Chronicles of the Reformation Church (both by Withrow and Withrow)

Just a reminder: it's not about finishing a stack or checking off a list. It's about letting the books soak in and change our lives. I make lists to remind myself to keep reading and to make sure I include books that I might not reach for without thinking.

I have been so happy with my choices this season. Each and every one is a keeper!

This week-end, the scouts are heading to Big Sur for a three-day backpacking trip, which means I'll have some free time. I've got some household projects desperately begging me to give them much-needed attention (think decluttering on steroids and vacuuming as an extreme sport), but I plan to listen to Great Expectations as I work, and to curl up with Henry IV when I collapse at night. I'm glad I reviewed my list before the week-end came. It makes me look forward to the hard work rather than dreading it.

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...