Friday, July 10, 2009

Basil and Lime Refresher


We've just begun getting our box of CSA fruits and vegetables for this season, and I am determined to make use of everything this year. Well, everything except the eggplant. I cannot promise that.

One of my favorite bundles in the box is fresh basil. It makes a fragrant bouquet, and I love adding it to pasta and salads. I always seem to have a handful leftover, though, so I got curious about recipes that use basil leaves. While I was at it, I looked around to see what foods might go bad if I didn't get creative, and I saw seven or eight limes. A few minutes on the internet and a few more in the kitchen resulted in the Basil and Lime Refresher, my new favorite summer beverage.


Basil and Lime Refresher
Put a favorite glass in the freezer until chilled.
Then fill glass halfway with club soda.

Squeeze one lime into soda, stir.

Add basil simple syrup (recipe below) until it is sweet enough for your taste; start with 2T.
Add ice.
Garnish with a slice of lime and a sprig of fresh basil.

Grab a book, find some shade, and put your feet up. Ah....refreshing!


Basil simple syrup

3 cups granulated sugar
3 cups water

1 1/2 cups basil leaves, cut in half
.
Put sugar and water in a small saucepan; heat over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
Remove from heat and add basil leaves, giving a quick stir.
Cover and set aside to cool for one hour.

Pour through sieve, bottle* and store in the refrigerator.


*I purchased the bottle above at IKEA. Perfect size.

(Next I will try lavender syrup and ginger syrup.)

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...