Monday, August 24, 2009

Monday morning

Fall is coming. I watched and heard the geese in their flight over the house this morning, and I felt an almost-chill in the air as I sat in front of the window. My husband's school is already a week into the year, and junior college classes begin this week. Online classes start next week, speech camp begins today. Ready or not, here we come.

I have been wondering how to plan for the year without knowing what my mother will need. I have waited, worried and prayed. I have sat in front of blank planning pages, waiting for words to miraculously appear. I have printed out blank charts to be filled in with details I do not have. And I have waited some more. Finally, I have come to this conclusion: as Mom seems to feel better and better each day, it has become clear that I need to plan my school days as if her health is a non-issue....with the big caveat being that I must be ready to flex and re-evaluate when the situation changes. For today we can plan full days and rigorous lessons with me fully involved. It appears that my education will continue to be:

"Do not worry then, saying, 'What will we eat?' or 'What will we drink?' or 'What will we wear for clothing?' (or what we shall teach and learn)

For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.

But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:31-34


And so I focus on what I know, on what I can do. This is one of the big lessons in contentment, isn't it? Quit thinking about all those things/people/experiences I don't have or know, and start appreciating all I do have. Quit worrying about the future, and start using each hour of the day for good purpose.

The vague plan for the year:

History is modern and heading back to ancients.
Science is general or biology, depending on who you are.
Math is an area of weakness that must be strengthened.
Great books continue for oldest and middle son.
Our younger daughter joins the online class world with Classical Writing .

I am using Ambleside Online Year Six, Year Eleven and Year Twelve as inspiration; I won't follow their lists slavishly, but having them prevents me from having to reinvent the entire wheel for my students.

With all my concerns, a few things are true: I have great students, my job is fascinating, and it promises to be a year full of learning for all of us.

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...