Wednesday, August 25, 2010

More summer reading quotes




"On the subject of the feminist business, I just never think, that is never think of qualities which are specifically feminine or masculine. I suppose I divide people into two classes: the Irksome and the Non-Irksome without regard to sex. Yes and there are the Medium-Irksome and the Rare Irksome."

"Nobody attains reality for my mother until he eats." (Ever know anyone like this? I sure have. Miss you, Granny!)

"Dogma can in no way limit a limitless God. The person outside the Church attaches a different meaning to it than the person in. For me a dogma is only a gateway to contemplation and is an instrument of freedom and not of restriction. It preserves mystery for the human mind. Henry James said young women of the future would know nothing of mystery or manners. He had no business to limit it to one sex."

The Habit of Being: Letters of Flannery O'Connor

Oh, what a bright, funny, self-deprecating woman Flannery O'Connor was. I wish I could have known her. Her writing is encouraging me to get back to putting pen to paper and not just relying on the computer for communication. She was a gifted correspondent and obviously a rare gem of a friend.

No comments:

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...