Thursday, November 10, 2011

Bonhoeffer

Thinking about the value of vigorous disagreements.  And how quickly those disagreements can divide people.  


Everyone marveled at how Bonhoeffer and Hildebrandt lived "in a state of permanent dispute" that was somehow never acrimonious. They obviously enjoyed the constant theological bickering. It constituted entertainment for them, allowing them to exercise their incredible wit, much of which went over the heads of anyone listening. Hildebrandt's biographers write that sometimes "when they were both involved in an argument Franz would look up and say 'What was that? I'm sorry I didn't hear a word.'" Of course he had heard everything. And then the two of them would "dissolve into laughter."






3 comments:

stephseef said...

i have this passage underlined, highlighted, commented upon and duly marked. LOVE IT. so much about his way of life that we - scott and i - deeply admire - the family walks, the singing - oh, the singing - the respectful disagreement, the friendships of the adult sibs - very, very special indeed.

Carol in Oregon said...

Gulp. I love that quote. Don't have that book. Must get.

Thank you for pointing me to it.

stephseef said...

I'm coming to the ending movement of the book and I'm already weepy at what I know will happen. This book has moved me in ways like no(ne?) other. I'm so, so thankful to have read it... and will do so again. His life! I am totally enamored with him, and with his life.

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...