Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Twenty-two



I wouldn't stop the time, even if I could.

But I stare at those rosy cheeks and suddenly I can feel the warmth of her summer-kissed skin, and I smile because even then she had a book with her.

I can almost hear the giggles.  

Tonight I feel nostalgic.



Especially tonight, when my daughter has a birthday far away.  
 
She will be home in a few weeks, to celebrate my birthday and Claire's baptism and to have some time to pet the dog and cook and read and rest at home, but it will be a quick week and then she is back for her senior year.
 
Twenty-two looks so beautiful on her.  And her sun-kissed skin and dimples and true smile are a gift of grace and hope.
 
Happy birthday, dear Madelaine.

You are loved!

3 comments:

Alison said...

Di,
You always write so beautifully about your children. What a gift.

Madelaine said...

Thanks, Mom. :) That's a cute picture. I like how Zack is being squirrely. :) love you lots.

diablo 3 gold said...

I think your kids are the presents god rewards you and I am so happy that they looks so joyful.

Four Years Later

COVID:2 Collage  Four years ago today we all came home for the lock down. Middle school classes conducted by zoom on the deck, college cours...